Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot Table Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I have a Pivot table which as a filed for the rows called ProdGroup. It as numbers from 1 to 12 and I have managed to do the totals and subtotals on each group.

However the numbers for the columns are out of number order, so instead of going from 1 to 12 it is putting the 1's first so I have

Up to 9

How can I get it so it goes in order from 1 to 12. I have tried grouping but it just wont work, I have tried several sorts but still no luck.

Any advise please.

Just a guess here, but it looks to me your 'numbers' are actually text, and that's why the sorting you see.

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I have actually tried changing the formant of the column to number instead of general, even tried text but I am getting the same result each time unfortunately

Did you try any of the ways of converting text to numbers presented here?
'changing the formant of the column' doesn't do anything to the value itself :-(

---- Andy

Hi

The column is set to General and not text as per the video. So the options are not available to convert when I highlight the column in anyway.

Thanks

Figured it out I believe, The spreadsheet was linked to a SQL View and the field it was using was VarChar. I did a CAST and changed it to INT. The spreadsheet is working as expected now.

Thanks for the replies

Great!
I told you Excel was 'seeing' it as text :)

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back