Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pivot Table drill through in a new workbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

arvarr

MIS
Nov 24, 2009
AU
Hi
When i drill through a pivot table, is there a way of opening the drill through in a new workbook instead of a new worksheet?

Thanks,
arv

Arv,

You can change the PivotTable Data Source. I've never done it this way...

1) Click the PivotTable report.

2) On the Analyze tab, in the Data group, click Change Data Source, and then click Change Data Source.

3) The Change PivotTable Data Source dialog box is displayed. Choose External Data

However, I've always chosen a different method, since I was very familiar with using Data > Get External Data > Microsoft Query... and I would write SQL code to get the data I wanted to aggregate using a Pivot Table Report all in Excel.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

If you mean a new sheet with filtered dataset created when a user double-click a cell in pivot table - there is no such setting. However the process can be controlled by macros and new sheet can be copied to new/other workbook. For instance:
1. disable DrillDown for a pivot table (=False),
2. intercept double-click in a parent worksheet (Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick event) test if proper range was clicked,
3. execute ShowDetail if Target in step (2) is ok,
4. intercept new sheet event of workbook (Workbook_NewSheet event), text if it was added in step (3), you may need a flag for it,
5. copy the sheet if a sheet in step (4) was created by ShowDetail action.

As an alternative to step (4) to identify new sheet,, before executing ShowDetail = True a list of sheets can be created, and next compared with the new one.

combo

Hi
What i meant was when i double click into one of cell in the pivot table, the details opens up in a new worksheet.

The aim is to open the details in a new workbook rather in a new worksheet.

Thanks,
arv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back