Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pivot table data source 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmnekrkt

Programmer
Feb 21, 2002
US
I've read that I can determine the data source of my pivot table by starting the wizard and using the "back" button. The "back" button is not available when I start the wizard. I am using excel 2000 and an external sql olap cube as a data source...I just can't determine which server or cube. Is there any other way aside from the back button?

Not without vba I believe - OLAP cubes and excel are fairly new buddies and as such, MS hasn't really gotten around to alowing much interrogation of data extracts based on them.

If you know any vba, go to the VBE and open the IMMEDIATE window
Make sure that you have selected a cell in the pivottable
and enter this:

?activesheet.pivottables(1).pivotcache.connection

and press return - it should give you a text string that contains the connection settings for the cube

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

My pleasure

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Star from me - Didn't know that one. Doesn't preclude you from following suit jmnekrkt :)

Regards
Ken............

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[peace]It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission[2thumbsup]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back