Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pipeline Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlack

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2001
US
Help! I am setting up a remote connection to a pc that is using an ISDN connection with a Pipeline 75 router. I can not ping, telnet, etc into the routers public IP address. Does anyone know how to set a rule in the Pipeline to allow connection from my remote PC? Any help would be great! Thx..

I assume that since you mentioned the Pipeline's public IP then you have a private network behind NAT? If so then to allow telnet you need to set up a static map to forward TCP port 23 to the private IP of the Pipeline. To do this go to Ethernet > NAT. Goto Static Mappings and select the first available static map. Then set the following:

Valid=Yes
Dst Port #=23
Protocol=TCP
Loc Port #=23
Loc Adrs= <Private IP of Pipeline>

Save and drop your ISP connection and reconnect.

As for ICMP (pings) make sure your Pipeline software is 7.3.x or higher. Older software versions did not allow pings to public IP on WAN side.

Thanks for the help. I have found a few tech notes on the web, but nothing as far as dealing with access from the internet. This all came up from a friend who is trying to get remote access setup with VNC but we could not get into it. I figured it was the firewall not allowing access. Do you know what ports for VNC or is there a better way to get into the pipelines for Remote Control. RealVNC I believe is the program. I will try the port opening this weekend. Where do I get the upgraded firmware. Thx a ton for any info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back