Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinnacle 9 & frame drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamccor

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
Im using Pinnacle 9 for video capturing.I capture from my tv and through my vcr. I have a P4 1.7 chip with 1 gb of memory and 2 80gb hard drives and 1 60 gb hard drive. I just noticed within the last day that no matter what I capture at DVD quality, Im getting lots of frame drops after only a minute of recording.I dont have any other programs open.Any suggestions?? I never had this problem before this week and I havent changed one thing to my pc in that time .Thanks

I don't think that your system meets the minimum requirements for mpeg2 recording.

What is your capture device? Something like an AllInWonder?

I have an Athlon 2600XP and I have the same problem. Instead of capturing through Studio, I used the capture program supplied with my AllInWonder. Like Studio it allows to capture in various formats, including Mpeg2. It never missed a frame, even when other applicatons are open. Then I use Studio to edit the videos.

Maybe my chip needs upgrading? I read somewhere that frame drops occur alot with old vhs tapes moreso than tv captures..is this true?

Yes you will have more troubles digitizing videotapes than TV or a camera output. The sync signals are not stable on a VCR. Because of their analog nature, TV sets are very forgiving to such sync jitter, and our eyes also forgive a lot. Video capture cards are much less forgiving. Some may perform better than others in these conditions.
Head cleaning cassettes may improve the situation. Give it a try.
Playing your tapes with another machine can produce better results too. I cannot record my inlaw's 8mm cassettes if I use my own 8mm camera to play them. Too much sync jitter.

Were there any recording utilities with your capture card?

I'm using a Matrox RT.X100 to capture from analog sources, so I can't offer any direct help on Pinnacle.
Considering your machine worked fine until last week, I would clear up as much space as I could on your capture drive, and then defragment it.
If that didn't fix it, I suppose I'd run ad-aware to check for recently installed spyware that might be using any system resources.

the best way to get around this problem is to get an analouge-to-digital converter ie. a video cam. and plug the vcr into that. the video cammera will prossess the data and will result in a musch more stable signal. otherwise do what 'felixc' said and use yyour capture device.

Some high VCRs have an integrated time-base corrector. My JVC S-VHS recorder has one. I did not try it with my capture card, but if it does what it is supposed to do, it can help too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back