Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pinging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
how do u connect to a computer?
i know there ip address
do u have to ping the comp and how do u do this?

what os are you using?

MS windows -

PING xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

or if you have a DNS server - (likely)

PING computername

and you should either get a timed out, or a response.

if you want to know a computer's name and you have the IP,

PING -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

similar commands in Linux, try MAN PING. (Linux/unix)

PS in windows, there is a slightly better command to check IP and route integrity, use this if you're pinging a computer more than one or two hops away,

TRACERT xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

which will give details of each hop it takes to the destination IP.

This should sort you out... let me know, OK?

Tels
:cool:
for pint$ = 1 to 20
for pint$ = pint$ + 1
if pint$ = 20 goto HOME
next pint$

Goto into DOS while in windows.
type: Ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
x's being the IP address of the computer you want to Ping.

Pinging is basically a network troubleshooter
a sort of network echo sounder.
The word ping stands for Packet InterNetGroper.

With the Ping command you can check the connection
of your network very quickly. Pinging sends a packet from one device to another, going thru 'hops' along the way.
Results will show you how many packets sent..how many recieved...how many lost AND
the time it took in milliseconds to send-recieve the packets.

Hope this helps ;-)

Shawn

ok i understand the pinging part....
so know i want to be able to CONNECT to the computer
for example i want to connect to the computer and send them a word document or something (please dont say email them) i just want to know if this is possible

Hi,

This is a very wide question - it would help if you said what operating system the two boxes were on, whether they were both on the same lan or connected via the internet, etc.

Certainly the most universal answer is to use ftp (file transfer protocol). You would need to install & setup a ftp server at the end with the files you want to transfer and then logon from the other machine. If its Windows, the simplest is to use file & printer sharing which works on a peer-to-peer basis. You have to install that as a service in the control-panel network app then right click on a folder and enable sharing. From the other end you can do something like 'net use w: \\10.0.0.1\folder' where 'w:' is a logical drive you want to use, 10.0.0.1 would be set to the other machine's ip address, 'folder' is an example of a shared directory.

I should warn that sharing over the public internet like this is not recommended at all for security reasons. See --> .

For freeware ftp servers see -->
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back