Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pinging the localhost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hainley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Network Environment....XP and 98 machine (1 of each)

XP Can access internet. 98 Can not. Shared DSL Connection.

Both machines see each other and can communicate via the LAN.

When I run 'ping localhost' on the 98 machine it is returnint the 127.0.0.1 IP, instead of the real IP of the machine.

Have tried reinstalling tcp/ip protocol but have the same issue.

ANy thoughts?

Hi,

Pinging localhost or 127.0.0.1 is just the same .127.0.0.1 is reserved for loopback testing, you are actually pinging your Network Adapter to check for proper TCP/IP bindings.

Try checking also your ip address do an IPCONFIG and see what ip add, subnet mask and default gateway value you are getting..

hope this helps..

Nemotek

Hi Hainley,

Pinging the local host will always return a reply from 127.0.0.1, that is normal.

On my 98 machine at home I have to hard code the IP addresses of my ISP's DNS servers. Have you done this?

Just curious,

Patty [ponytails2]

As others have said, it is normal for a ping to localhost to return the 127.0.0.1 address. It is possible to configure your system for localhost to use your actual IP, but the result is the same.

Worth noting that pinging ANY address assigned to the local computer, either by using localhost, 127.0.0.1 or the IP assigned to your network adapter, does absolutely nothing to test your network adapter or the bindings to it. All ping requests to the local computer are processed in the TCP/IP stack and handled well before it ever reaches the network adapter drivers.

Having said that, your core TCP/IP is fine if you are able to connect to the XP computer. Simply wouldn't be possible if TCP/IP was having core problems.

Time to figure out what is really going on. Open a command prompt. Type 'ping yahoo.com' and press enter. What happens? Be specific.

Hi,

Check your browser setting

Tools > Internet Options > click Connections > LAN SETTINGS
(make sure nothing is checked there, proxy settings etc..)

Check your connection again on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back