Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ping says network is unreachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlbrady

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
US
I have a Compaq Proliant ML370 server running RHL 7.1. It has an Intel 8255x chipset NIC running an Intel e100 driver. Network configuration is IP 172.17.23.20, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway 172.17.23.1. It was connecting to the network using this same configuration before I had to reinstall RHL 7.1. I can ping localhost, but I cannot ping 172.17.23.20 or anything else in 172.17.23.X. lsmod shows eepro100. ifconfig shows eth0 with 9843 RX packet errors and 0 for all TX packets. netstat -i shows eth0 with RX-OK 9604, RX-ERR 0, and all TX's 0. I switched ethernet cables with a working machine, but still get 'network is unreachable'. All port hubs and NIC cards have green flashing lights. Is a bad ethernet card the only possibility left?

Did you reset the IP address after the reload? ARe you using xwindows? If not I believe you can set the IP in linixconf. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I used the network configuration tool to confirm that the IP address and other network settings were correct. I am using Xwindows, with Gnome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back