Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping returns error code 1753

Status
Not open for further replies.

utedasset

Technical User
Sep 21, 2012
SE
I came across a new customers server today. SBS2008, appears to be fully patched, where a third of the services don't start due to problems with dependencies, among them Server, Workstation and DNS. I *THINK* all of this boils down to the fact that there is a basic network problem -- I cannot ping anything. Whether I ping my default gw, my own IP, 127.0.0.1 or localhost -- everything returns the same error message: "Unable to contact ip driver. Error code 1753". Safe networking mode didn't change anything. A full CD booted AV scan didn't find anything. I've run "netsh winsock reset catalog" together with "netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log" and "netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log" and rebooted several times. The NIC looks OK in device manager but nothing shows up in Network Connections so I changed back to static IP from PowerShell. I've googled for hours and found nothing useful. Please?

ipconfig /all looks OK, nothing in there that isn't expected. I am not sure what you mean with 'reset the services to default'. I'll bring another NIC next time I visit the customer, just to verify it. Thanks for the suggestion!

By any chance was this server ever a DHCP server? I remember seeing this happen when it was running as a DHCP server and then the service was removed. Also have you tried booting using a WinPE CD just to see if a universal driver works

Sorry for late update!

The NIC is physically OK, I've both tried with another one and tried booting from a live Linux CD. Problem persisted with another NIC and went away with Linux so it's definitely a Windows screw-up.

itsp1965: It still is a DHCP server. DHCP still appears to be running but it's a bit hard to tell as the NIC has a flat tire.

I'm pretty sure the whole NIC thing is just a symptom of some files/registry settings gone corrupt or missing, but I have no clue how to find out which ones.

among them Server, Workstation and DNS" basically the primary organs of SBS are not functioning; a NIC/driver is an appenadage.
Unlikely a NIC/driver issue, just a symptom.

Is system restore enabled ?, go back in time. It may or may not work, worth a shot
Look through the Event logs.
Get Malwarebytes on the machine, run it
Download multiple rootkit utils, run'em
Run MS updates again, make sure it is fully patched
run chkdsk
run sfc /SCANNOW
uninstall roles and features, then reinstall them
SBS Upgrade as a last resort

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search