Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ping remote office router

Status
Not open for further replies.

dingo987

MIS
Jun 20, 2001
US
I have a LAN being nurtured to a WAN. We are connecting to a remote office by a T1 seperated by Cisco 1601 routers.
-My router 172.16.0.191
-Remote router 172.16.1.1
-Route added 172.16.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.0.191

My ISP tells me that they can do an extended ping (using my NT box,proxy), but have no idea why I can't. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks In Advance.

Run Trace from your router to the 172.16.1.0 network, this will tell you where the problem starts. Also what about from the remote router, can you ping 172.16.1.1. Of course I am assuming that you are using un-numbered serial interfaces...

david e

When I ran a tracert to 172.16.1.1 all the hops, including the first, showed ****. This tells me that it doesn't know where to send the packet(thus why I added the route).
I can't ping the remote router.
What do you mean "unnumbered serial interfaces"?
Thanks for your response.

Mike

I don't know much about a 1601 router but since you state you have a T1 then you should have a serial connection. If you don't have that segment of your network on an IP Address there should be an entry that states "Unnumbered Ethernet0" or something like that. Also looking back at your post, is your T1 a point-to-point or a frame relay?. I am assuming that since you are using a 172.16.0.0 network address you are running a point-to-point.

You are correct that it does not know where to go. On the remote end do you have a route back to your network? If you don't the remote router will not know where to echo the packets back to. If you have a static route at one end you should have one on both ends routing back to the other network. If you don't when the router echo's it will send the packet to it's "gateway of last resort" or default route.

I believe the issue resides with the remote router and it's static route. What is the static route in the remote router, if it has one?

david e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back