Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldiboronti

Technical User
Jun 23, 2002
GB
I`m using Windows98SE on a Compaq Presario 64MB, AOL.7. My problem is the Ping command. Both the AOL browser and IE5.5 are working fine, connecting to sites without undue delay or problem, yet when I go to the MSDos prompt box and ping sites to test speed, it constantly returns Request timed out, 4 packets sent, 4 packets lost. This is not a major worry because, as I say, it`s not affecting my browsing or downloading, I`d just like to know what`s going wrong.
(I`ve done a full scan with AGV and AdAware and come up clean).

If I understand you right you are able to go into IE or AOL and let's say connect to with no problem. But when you go to DOS prompt and type in: ping dell.com that is when you get Request time out.

If the above is true, then when you ping:
1. Get an IP address for the dell.com site?
2. If so, do you have a personal firewall running? I had this happen when I put ZoneAlarm on my computer. Could access the Internet but ZoneAlarm was blocking pings. I had to go into ZoneAlarm and tell it that pings were OK.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back