Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping Error 65?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaDaar

Programmer
Jan 6, 2003
US
I have a LAN at home, connected to a LinkSys Cable/Router running NAT and it is my DHCP server (sound familiar I am sure). My Cable Modem is connected, and so are my computers.

One day, one computer simply could not connect to the internet, while all the others could. It had an IP address,but could not see any other computers on the LAN. If I try to ping the router i get PING ERROR 65 error, and this confuses me, because I am wondering where the IP address is coming from if it cannot reach the router.

I have checked the NIC, both lights are on, and switched it's port on the router, it was active and rebooted, etc. No change. I then opened up a brand new cable I bought for my X-Box (still to be installed, but the other computers, a Mac, a NT Server and a couple of 2000 machines are running), put the new cable on, and into the original or new port, no change.

I am not a network expert, but I checked with some network friends at work. They mentioned the "Register this connection's in DSN" checkbox even though not used I need to un-check it, and reboot and that may fix things.

Have any of you had this happen before?

I will try their solution tonight, and post results, but it's like the computer had a hissyfit one day, for no reason whatsoever.

P.S.
Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

JaDaar

Hi,

when you Pinged the router, did you ping it by name or by IP Address? If you pinged by name, try to ping it by IP Address.

Tom

Are you using Zonealarm, or is ICS enabled in Windows 2000 but not configured in your firewall? That will do it. You'd need to configure your firewall for ICS (internet connection sharing).
Try to ping 127.0.0.1 (loopback adapter). Your nic settings might have changed, so make sure you have the correct IP for your machine from DHCP. At a command prompt, type:
ipconfig /all
and it will give you the address of the machine. Check the ip address, subnet, and default gateway.

I think somewhere in all that is your answer. :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back