Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ping doesn't resolve hostnames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seegee

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
US
I'm trying to resolve IP's to hostnames on a business network, and it never resolves the hostname not even with the -a parameter supplied. Is there any way to reinstall ping?

Cliff
A+, Net+, Linux+, Server+

Is there a DNS on the network? Ping doesn't necessarily give you the host name, unless you ping the hostname, then it will give you the IP.

it has worked before, I use it to locate associates in the building, I can get the IP from netware admin from the user enviroment settings, and I ping the IP to get the PC name. The pc name tells me where in the building they would be located. It saves me time when I'm hunting soemone down.

I can ping by host name and get the IP, just not the other way around.

Cliff

This is normal behavior for XP's version of Ping.
I have no idea why it does not work as it did in earlier Windows versions.

See if you can run it in Compatibility mode for 2000 or older, or just borrow a 2000 version of ping and place it in a folder and try running that version to see if it works?

Interestign enough I did a local search of my PC for Ping, and found an app called pathping, which performs a job much like tracert, and it will resolve IP's to host name, tell you how many hops it took to get there and will give you statistics on the ping reply. Pretty Sweet!

Cliff

To resolve an ip to a hostname wouldn't you need reverse DNS enabled at the DNS server?

XP pro doesn't allow me to change compatability modes for ping.

Cliff

If you copy Ping.exe (from the System32 folder) to another folder and run it from there you should be able to test it in another Compatibility Mode. I feel your solution with "PathPing" is the better workaround however.

I copied ping.exe from a NT machine and put it on XP, and it resolves hostnames like I want..problem solved.
thanks for all your help!

Cliff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back