Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ping can't find its way home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hd2

Technical User
Sep 1, 2002
CA
Hello,

I have an interesting problem that I hope someone can shed some light on.

I have several computers setup in two separate networks that are bridged by a wireless connection so the two networks can see each other and share files, etc...

Recently, computers on each side of the divide have been momentarily loosing their connections to each other...
But not to all systems at once...

Eg:
System 1 and 2 are on network A and systems 7 and 8 are on Network B.

they all share files between each other, but for a few min at random, system 1 can no longer ping system 8, but it can ping system 7.
Then system 7 can't ping system 1 but system 1 can still ping system 7...
etc...

Then everything works great again until another system decides to act up.

Strange stuff, any help greatly appreciated!

I hope that made a little sense. :)

Tech specs:

Each system is Windows 2000pro or XP home
Protocols installed are TCP/IP and the IP range is: 192.168.205.x

Network A is on a workgroup called: "fc"
Network B is on a workgroup called: "air"

the wireless link is an 802.11g AP and G810 using high gain antenna's, it has an excellent connection strength. No bad signals.

When the problem occurs, and you say you can't ping:

Pinging by name or IP?
Is it resolving the address?
Are you getting request timed out?
Can you still ping system 1 from 2 and 2 from 1?
Can you still ping system 7 from 8 and 8 from 7?
Run "ipconfig /all" on the machine that you can't ping and post results for analysis.

I just got home from the industrial buildings where the network is located.

It turns out that mice decided to chew on the cables, and some were down to the bare copper, some strands even being severed (or nearly severed but still rubbing) completely!

As well as this, one of the wireless AP's antenna port had been almost completely chewed out!

I have replaced the damaged network cabling (spent all day crawling around trusses, etc... great fun) :) and replaced the damaged antenna coupling.

Everything seems to be working 100% again, at least until the mice get hungry again. lol

Anyone know of a spray or deterrent to keep rodents from chewing cables?
That's the fun of working in old industrial buildings. :)

lol.. i would use some live traps.. lol.. RAID works great for mice lol.. they woint bite .. but dont poisin your co-workers with it lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back