Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIII and Access 97 Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreew

Programmer
May 16, 1999
US
Got a doozie for yall.<br>
<br>
I've have a novell network-based Access 97 SR-2 invoice database running nicely for the past couple years...holding around the 400 meg mark. It's been running on 486's, Pentiums, and PII's without a hitch.<br>
<br>
The problem started when we installed two new Dell Optiplex GXi PIII's with 128 megs RAM, and tried to print/preview the invoices that had come out so nicely before then. The data would appear on the screen, sub-forms included, but it gives an out of memory/please close error when previewing/printing. It has the same connection to the network as the pentiums that the PIII's replaced is being used, and both machines are behaving badly only in regards to the Access printing.<br>
<br>
Attempted fixes so far were updating the video driver, the MS Jet engine, and making the database local. <br>
<br>
When the dtb was brought locally, I also tried setting up a local generic print file destination. The data printed to this without a hitch, and once even printed to the network printer okay, only once tho, then it went back to giving the OOM messages.<br>
<br>
I've tried opening up the Northwind dtb and printing the invoice, because it also contains forms and sub-forms, which went off without a hitch.<br>
<br>
My MIS techie is at his wit's end, as am I. Has anyone else experienced having a machine that's too powerful for Access 97?<br>
<br>
Thanx for your expertise, and happy holidays,<br>
Drew Bell

No<br>
Have several Self made clone's PIII 440 to 500 with 128-256 meg RAM and all works fine.<br>
In fact if these screaming machines were not available I could not use ODBC cause it brought Pentium I's to their knees.<br>
<br>
I suspect something else is going wrong.<br>
Are you running NT workstation or 9x?<br>
Did you try Compacting & Repairing the database?<br>
Make a backup of it first go to explorer and just copy it.<br>
Everyone has to be out of the database too or it won't let you do either one.<br>
Try compacting first the see if the report works.<br>
Then if not then do the repair.<br>
Be aware if you have corruption either one of these may destroy the whole .mdb<br>
<br>
In menu area click Tools, Database Utilities, <br>
you see Compacting and Repairing there.<br>
If things act funny such as this, I always try these two and see if that fixes things.<br>
<br>
Good Luck<br>

Make a backup copy first before you compact or repair. Ensure that local machine has SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back