Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIII 450 limitiations / overclocking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmund1978

Programmer
Jan 25, 2001
GB
Does anyone know how far you can push an Intel PIII450. I've heard rumours, they are infact the same as the PIII550 but I don't know much about it. Also is it risky to do this?

The PIII 450 is not the same as the 550. The 450 has a locked (on the processor) Clock multiplyer of 4.5. It uses a 100 MHZ bus speed. If you purchase PC133 Ram and if your board supports higher bus speeds you can probebly overclock the bus speed to 112mhz to 125mhz. Though it is better to not overclock at all, the 112mhz bus and below are your "safest". taking the 450 to bus speeds higher without adequate cooling WILL kill the processor.
As I stted before it will depend on your motherboard and what bus speeds it can handle.

Hope this helps

With most video cards you can safely push the 450 to 504 assuming you have adequate cooling on the case, proc, vid, etc. Won't just heat up the proc, trust me :)

Video cards are VERY prone to overheats, especially when you take their hertz ratings more than about 8-10% over the 66 they're comfy with.

Sharkyextreme and tomshardware are 2 good resources for overclocking.

I've done it with this proc, TNT2, Abit BH6, stable at 504 for 2+ years now, never a lick of trouble in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back