Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pigy backing telephone systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcfc

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
GB
I am being asked if I can piggy back meridian telephone systems on to other PABX'S,But with the amount of diffrent wiring layouts that diffrent PABX's can have ,I know some systems can crash if you double up the wiring .Is there any way around this .The Meridian has to go between the existing PABX and the telephone extension.,Not on the trunk side.

So you want to feed dial tone from the existing PABX to the Meridian? Sort of like pretending the existing system is a CO? This might work if the dial tone coming to the Meridian from the other system is analog and you bring it into the line side but you would probably end up with all kinds of crazy interactions when trying to dial from the Meridian to the other system or to the outside world.

i have worked on mitel pbx with key systems
co,s connectted to pbx station ports
key system can dial 9 etc.
but wont recieve call id info unless pbx supports
pretend your pbx is your co

Need more info but this should definately be do-able. Question is, do you really want to? You may want to spend more time researching all of the caveats of having seperate systems and explaining them to the "powers that be" instead of saying "sure, we can do that". Depending on the how widespread you plan on implimenting this, you will be creating an MIS management nightmare. I understand the pressures of saving a buck but I gaurentee this will be a more expensive, less functional solution in the end. Maintaining such a combo of systems with any reasonable amount of moves, adds, changes may even require hiring additional personnel.

-CL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back