Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PID number generation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelvv

MIS
Jan 17, 2003
US
How does AIX generate PID numbers? How long is it reasonable to expect NOT to see the same PID number?

Thanks,
Michael

Huh? It just picks the next one and when it gets to the end it starts over? If a number is not in use it can be taken immediately I'd have thought...

AFAIG, it is based on the kernel PSLOT number and a generation number, meaning there will be some time before a PID number is re-used, but I don't know the specifics.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks p5wizard, you gave me enough of a clue to find the complete answer. The PID is the PSLOT number divided by 256 in a 32 bit kernel, 4096 in AIX 5.1 and 8192 in 5.2.

Michael

Michael, it's the other way around (PSLOT number is low number, PID numbers are high)...

If you look at [tt]pstat -a[/tt] output, you can deduce that PID number is PSLOT number times a factor plus some offset.

On AIX53, I have PID=PSLOT*4096+offset
So I'm betting that this offset (I've seen it called generation count on some info I googled) is incremented at every reuse of the PSLOT number.

For every PSLOT number, it would theoretically take up to a maximum of 4096 generations for the same PID number to come up again. But it is probably half of 4096 (or less) as apparently PID numbers on AIX in this schema are always EVEN, the PID 1 for [tt]init[/tt] being the exception...

So you'd be pretty safe in assuming the same PID won't come up again in the same 24hr period, unless you have a server that has massive amounts of short running (sub-second) processes... And probably the kernel programmers accounted for this and would probably block the re-use that PSLOT number for the remainder of that 24hr period or distribute the rapid restarting processes evenly among all free PSLOT numbers to avoid that scenario.

Anyway, this is just google-and-guess-work so maybe I will want to find out for real on the AIX Kernel Internals class some day soon... ;-)

HTH,

p5wizard

That's so odd - why and where are you getting this from? It's certainly not 4096, although it does look like they're spaced apart but it seems to be by 102h:

3 a 306 0 0 0 0 1 sched
FLAGS:swapped_inno_swapfixed_prikproc
4 a 408 0 0 0 0 1 lrud
FLAGS:swapped_inno_swapfixed_prikproc

Most of them are oddly enough like this for unclear reasons.

Doesn't really add up with ps though:

daemon 55512 1 0 08:53:00 - 0:00 send-mail -i -x djprod
daemon 55664 1 0 08:59:00 - 0:00 send-mail -i -x djprod

As these are less than 100h apart...

On an AIX 53 LPAR:
[tt]
# pstat -a|head -3; pstat -a|grep sleep|tail -1
PROC TABLE:

SLT ST PID PPID PGRP UID EUID TCNT NAME
331 a 14b070 c00e6 d0082 0 0 1 sleep
[/tt]

SLT number 331 (apparently in decimal)
PID number 14b070 (apparently in hex)

[tt]
# bc
ibase=16
14B070
[/tt]

So 14b070 hex is 1355888 in decimal

[tt]
# bc -l
1355888/331
[/tt]

so for this generation number (which I assume to be 112)
[tt]
(SLT x 4096) + GEN = PID
(331 x 4096) + 112 = 1355888
[/tt]

That is my best guess of course... ;-)

And AIX version and kernel size (32 or 64bit) also have a say in this...

HTH,

p5wizard

Well, as you can tell from what I posted above it's not 4096 on my system :) Could be 256 it looks like.

I still don't get the point of all this though ;)

You're absolutely right p5wizard, I had read it backwards...

Point is, Michael asked a question and I became curious, that's all.

And I also found out that it is easy to make the system use the same PIDs over and over.

[tt]
while true
do
ps | grep [p]s
done >/tmp/ps.out
[/tt]

(let run for a couple of minutes, then hit ctrl-C)

[tt]
sort /tmp/ps.out|uniq -c|sort
[/tt]

(see duplicate/triplicate/more... counts at the end of the output)

So a lot of short lived processes may lead to PIDs being reused within a relatively short time period.

HTH,

p5wizard

That is precisely my problem. In non AIX UNIX I could use $$ for a temporary file name in my scripts and be sure it was a unique file name. Now I have to do something else, probably a combination of PID and timestamp :((

Well, a PID is unique at any given time. If your process creates that /tmp/$$ file, uses it for whatever purpose and cleans it up (removes it) before the process ends, you should still be all right...

HTH,

p5wizard

That is true, but sadly enough, it is also used as a tag to identify a sequence of events in an application log which over its 24 hour lifetime ends up with the same tag for multiple transactions. At least I know what I have to work with. Thanks for your help, you ARE the wizard!

p5wizard, I didn't mean the point of what you were doing but the point of what *IBM* were doing ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back