Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picture Storage Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcooler

Programmer
Jun 13, 2009
Hello all-

I have a form where I am asking the user to add serial number information located in 4 places on the product. For user clarification, I thought I would try to show a serial number locating picture when the GotFocus event fires in each serial number textbox.

Now, in the past, I would just paste 4 pictures on top of each other and change the .Visible property on the GotFocus Event. I feel this is pretty cheezy and want to improve myself by looking to a more solid approach. After Googling for a while I determined it might be best to add a table of pictures using the OLE Object Field type and then associate each picture with an existing Bound Object Frame (called "OLEPicture") as the GotFocus event fires.

Ok, so I already know about the "don't save pictures in Access" comments, but I only plan to store about 4-5 pictures, so I'd really like to store everything inside the database (for portability). I've created the "tblPictures" table and added the above pictures....the file size is 7 meg.

With the back-story over, here's my question. Assuming I'm hard-headed and want to store the pictures in the database, is the above plan the best strategy? If so, what VBA do I use to call each picture once the GotFocus event fires?

I'm just not sure what to do, but want to improve how I do this type of action.

Thanks!
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back