Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picture Quality in the General Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

vnbabu

Programmer
Jul 15, 2003
IN
Hello Everyone

I store a BMP picture in my table in a general field

When I Insert Picture in the general field, The quality of Picture is changed and it is poor, Hence if I retrive the picture from the field to print in a report or preview, I get a poor quality picture.

Any sugesstion to sort out the above problem.

Thanks in advance for all of you.

Regards

Babu

vnbabu

Firstly most developers would not store an image in a general field.

Do a keyword search on general and you will find many threads on that topic.

Instead store the path\filename.ext in a field in a table.

As far as quality is concerned, raster graphic, ie bitmaps, can be reduced in size without loss of quality. They can only be enlarged by a relatively small percentage.

Displaying or printing an enlarged raster graphic will always show a reduction in quality - how much is dependant on quality and nature of the original image and the percentage of enlargement.

FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

I personally like to save my images into a Binary Memo field...

To save the bitmap:
Append Memo MyTable.MyMemo From "C:\MyPicture.bmp" Overwrite

To retrieve the bitmap:

Copy Memo MyTable.MyMemo to "C:\MyPicture.bmp"

There is no degradation of the image quality when done like this, you are simply restoring the picture you have previously saved. I used the C drive in this example code, but usually I will use the temp directory SYS(2023) as the directory where I extract the image files to when I need to use them on a form or in a report at runtime.

Slighthaze = NULL

[ul][li]FAQ184-2483
An excellent guide to getting a fast and accurate response to your questions in this forum.[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back