Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picture manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCrou82

Programmer
Aug 23, 2002
US
I have a peculiar situation. I need to be able to allow a user to upload a particular picture as a jpeg only. I will then need to take this uploaded image and create a reversed negative of the picture with a transparent background. Then I need to overimpose that modified picture onto a particular background selected by the user. I'm aware that there is an upload function and I'm also pretty well versed in how to go about doing the whole process. My only problem is the following:

First, Can an image (such as the uploaded JPEG) be manipulated as needed (reversed negative with transparent background), overimposed onto another image (JPEG or GIF) and finally saved on the servers as another image so that the user can preview their uploaded image after the manipulations? I'm aware that PHP can create a PDF file, but i'm not sure about image manipulation.

Secondly, is there a script out there that can be implemented or that I could view to see how to go about doing this?

Thank you in advance,

PHP can't do image manipulation nagively, but there are several plugins that enable it to do quite a lot.

One of them is GD, for which the image_* series function in php exist. Read the php manual for information about these. I'm not sure you can do all those things you want with it though.

Another one is ImageMagick ( I had a quick look and it seem syou can do all you want with that, either by installing the php plugin they offer, or by running it from the commandline.

As for an example, I would advice you to google around, read the manual and maybe browse the ImageMagick forums. I'm sure you can figure it out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back