Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Picking a compiler for developing graphical programs in C or C++ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKeeya

Programmer
May 7, 2003
US
I'm trying to decide which compiler to get. I'd like to start developing graphical programs in C/C++ that will run in Windows. I am trying to determind if one compiler over another will make my life easier: MS Visual C++, Borland, DJGPP, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

The answer is... it depends. I've used all three that you mention, and they are all decent. Here's my take.

DjGPP is great if you really, really know what you are doing - and you have a bit of experience with the GNU compiler in general (i.e. you like the feel of it). I find that on my &quot;primary&quot; compile computer - this one is usually installed after a time because I will find a &quot;source&quot; package >sourceforge.net< that only compiles in DjGPP.

Borland - I like a lot because you can get a &quot;free&quot; command line compiler version of it, and it's 90% compatible with Microsoft Visual C code. I have personally had problems finding free Borland compatible ODBC support libraries (for instance). This is to say that when I compiled 'PERL' for ODBC / CGI use - I had to use Visual Studio.

Visual Studio - I hate because it's Microsoft's, but let's face it... It's written by the company that writes the operating system that you are compiling for. Because of this, it creates a pretty clean solution. Further, I have found more source projects for Windows that are written against Visual Studio style libraries than any other type. This makes it easier to get decent how-to examples.

Just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back