Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Physically connect a 192.168.0.X Device to A 10.1.15.X computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmbtech

Programmer
Nov 24, 2003
US
I am trying to write a setup utility for a Device that has an IP of 192.168.0.X when we ship it.
My Customers may be on a 10.X network.
If I physically connect the device to the customers compter via hub or crossover, can I some how access my 192.X device so I can change the IP. My device has a browser based setup screen.
I tried adding a static entry to the local ARP cache but could not ping the device.
Am I on the wrong track? Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be accomplished?
I have seen other products that have setup utilities that handle this but so far I am stumped.

You could add or change the IP address of the client's machine to match the range of the device, that would at least allow you to access the config and change it to match the customer's standard IP range.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

You may find that your device as originally set tramples your user's network if they hook it up before setting it to a unique address.

I would suggest that you give instructions to the purchasers on making the changes required on their machines to gain access to your device independent of the network and the requirements to set their machine back to the original settings after setup is complete. To the extent of furnishing a crossover cable if it is not autodetect.

You might also want to give them some instuction on finding available addresses to use along with the steps to get back to the original settings on their machine after the setup process and whatever tests need to be made at the destination address.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Is there any particular reason you don't use DHCP so your machine just gets a relevant ip address from the network it is attached to (assuming that suppports DHCP!).

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I ended up using multicast.
My device will send a multicast when turned on if the IP is not set (I no longer give it an IP out of the factory)
The broadcast contains the MAC, Device Type and a flag requesting an IP
The Setup program will listen for any broadcasts and fill in the user screen with the relavant info.
The user has the option of selecting specific devices (there may be more that one on a users network), giving them names and clicking setup.
The IP setup then sends a broadcast with the mac address of the device, the name and the IP or DHCP if the device should use DHCP.
The IP setup program determines if the network is DHCP or not and if not, does a scan to find the first unused IP.
The IP also has a refresh button that will send out a broadcast requesting device info.
Each device listens for broadcasts with their mac address and responds according to the action flag. They will set their name, their IP or use DHCP based on what they are told in the broadcast.
This method required the least intervention by the user
Their is more to it, but that is kinda it in a nutshell.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back