Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Physical Errors report

Status
Not open for further replies.

cestonina

Programmer
May 25, 2003
SG
Hi all,

Is there a way to generate the nodes (MAC Address) with errors (such as CRC, Jabbers, etc.) in Host Table to a report? Which file/database does Sniffer store these records?

I have checked the csv files generated by Sniffer and for some unknown reason, Sniffer doesn't seem to log these nodes (MAC address) with errors to xxxxhost.csv (although the sum of errors can be seen at xxxxglobal.csv).

I have tried nPO and Sniffer Reporter and it seems that both doesn't have this kind of report (Both only shows the sum of physical errors per interface).

I was planning to generate this report daily and monthly for historical data (probably in crystal reports/excel).

Appreciate any help regarding this matter, thanks!

Topy

If my memory serves, the report systems (nPO and Sniffer Reporter) uses a data base fron sniffer capturer, if the data is not present in the data base this data can't be showed. Maybe you need to put this data manualy. By the way, the data base on sniffer is Access compatible and can be easy modified.

Best regards,

Douglas

We cannot really be sure, whether the MAC addresses are valid, when there are error frames, that actually make it through the NIC up to the Sniffer. It could be that already the Source Address would be corrupted.

I assume that is why you won't find a table, where MAC addresses are associated with error counters.

I once had a trace file with only corrupted frames, and there wasn't even a valid address shown in the Expert.

Regards
Matthias

Thanks for the advice.

I'm just wondering why it can't log the nodes with errors, because when you look at the Host Table in Sniffer you could see the nodes (MAC) that has the errors (CRC's, Jabbers, etc.).

What I had in mind was to create on-demand reports for those nodes with errors, instead of going to the Host Table (of Sniffer) and check each and everyone with errors.

Anyway thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back