Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Physical copy of database from machine A to machine B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmero

Technical User
Mar 31, 2001
FR
Hi all,

I have a Windows NT server with Oracle 7.3.4 installed and this oracle 7.3.4 is handling a datawarehouse. Let's name this machine server A.

We have bought a new server (server B) and I want to transfer the A machine database into the B machine using a physical copy of machine A database files(control files, data files, etc..).

What is the procedure to apply?
Note that I don't want to perform Export/Import manipulations.

Thanks in advance for your help.

You could perform a cold-backup of the original, move the files to new server and restore it there.

* Shut down the original database (immediate or normal)
* Copy all database, online redo logs and control filesto the other server
* Copy the init<sid>.ora and config.ora(if you have one)

To make things really easy, recreate the same file-structure locations from the original server (where your data, redo and control files were located)- if you followed OFA standards, this should be easy to do.

Once the files are placed in the same named-locations on the new server, you can start the database.

If you want to keep these in sync over time, look into the &quot;Standby Database&quot; feature of ORACLE. =================================
Thomas V. Flaherty Jr.
Birch Hill Technology Group, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back