Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Physical connection between wireless router/access point/print server

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJParkinson

Technical User
Apr 11, 2003
GB
Questions from a wireless beginner:
I have two scenarios - similar questions

Scenario 1
At home I have a Linksys WRT54G router & a Linksys WPS54GU2 print server, PC (Netgear FA310), PC (Linksys WMP54GS) & Centrino Laptop (built-in wireless).

Question 1
Do I need to physically run cable between Router & Printer Server? (I tried various wireless configs but without success)
--------------------
Scenario 2
A friend has asked me to setup wireless networking an a guest house she has.
Netgear DG834GT router & a D-LINK DWL2100AP access point, PC (onboard lan) & Centrino Laptop (built-in wireless).
Router is currently on ground floor / access point is to go on second or third floor. (The access point is still on the ground floor whilst I get them tallking wirelessly)

Question 2
Do I need to physically run cable between Router & Access Point? (I tried various wireless configs but without success)
Even when the Router & Access Point are connected by a 2m cable, whenever I disable SSID broadcast the access point loses connectivity.
--------------------
Last bits:
I should use different channels but same SSIDs between router/access point. Yes?

I should use same channels and same SSIDs between router/print server. Yes?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Scenario 1
First find out the DHCP range for the Linksys router. Assign a static IP address outside of the range of the DHCP to the print server. Example:DHCP starting address 192.168.1.100 with 50 hosts. DCHP will assign addresses from 192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.149. So if you were to use say 192.168.1.200 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 for the print server the IP address would never change on you. That way when you setup the printer on the PC as a local printer you can then select to create a port and use the standard tcp/ip port. You then use the static ip address you assigned to the printer. Remember that all linksys out of the box is DHCP and print servers do not work well with dynamic addressing.

Scenario 2
Your best bet with hardware you have would be to run cable from router to access point. You can bridge two wireless devices but usually need to be of the same manufacturer to do that. You will probably need to disable DHCP on the access point so that everything gets an address from the router.

Last Bits
Channels and SSID's should be same for all devices....remember that if you have cordless phones that are 2.4ghz they operate on the same frequency and can cause problems. Good idea to get 5.8ghz phones instead or the older900 mhz.

Another solution for scenario 2 might be to move the router to the second floor and get a wireless card for the PC. Test signal strength to locations needed and you may find that you do not need the access point.

Many thanks for your prompt replies JOAMON!

I'll give those a try, Scenario 1 I can work on tonight, but the other I won't have access to until after next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back