Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP vs ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I need to do a web based project so I have to choose an appropriate language. I prefer PHP and ASP but I do not know which one is better.

Someone told me that PHP is more stable and reliable than ASP, but I'm not quite sure about this. Is there any survey that I can refer to? Or do you have any idea about which one is better?

Please let me know more, I appreciate any comment and suggestions. Thanks a lot.

Dante

I work with php, apache, linux and mysql.
It's often told that this is a golden combination.
Some people prefer ASP cause its microsoft though i would say that thats the reason why i prefer it not.

The devlopment of php and the rest is continues, because its open source. Also theres much documentation on the web. So, as a conclusion i would say, run linux, install apache and mysql and work with php.

MiQ
mcvdmvs@mcvdmvs.net
Yeah, well, erhm, ok... I'm busy trying to teach myself JavaScript, C++, Java and other webrelated stuff.

Well. Here's how I see it. The prime benefits of PHP are free portability and extensibility. Meaning: There are PHP binaries for Windows and Linux, both free of charge and what works on one system will very likely work on the other. ASP can be supported on Linux but requires some program additions that will incur some gratuitous expenses. The extensibility comes from the fact that the PHP core is open-sourced and Joe Generic can compile a module right into the language ... I doubt there's many people out there revamping VB. And one glimpse at the PHP manual will show how many people have taken advantage of this -- There's support for nearly every conceivable action in web development! As far as stability and reliability goes ... Well, I think it's a biased assumption from the Linux advocates (I am part of this crowd) that a PHP solution is both of these and ASP solutions are not. But, that heavily relies on the programmer; bad code is bad code, no matter what the language. From the posts on Bugtraq, ASP, along with nearly any Microsoft product seems to have more security concerns, but hey.. Is that the bias talking? One more thing. Execution time. I haven't delved too much into this, but just from observation, VB is so insanely simple that the compiler has to make up for it with burdensome machine code. PHP appears to be quite a bit cleaner as it's interpreted... This speeds things up. Alot. Okay.. to end the rant. I love PHP and use it infinitely more than ASP. I recommend it as a solution to any server based page setup. But play with it ... See for yourself. :)

brendanc@icehouse.net

In my opinion there is no real difference between PHP and ASP - depends which platform you want to develop for. PHP is cheaper and easier to learn if you come from a C background, ASP can be written in JScript or VBScript (easy if you come from a VB background). Incidentally, Jscript seems to be about 50% faster than VBScript in ASP pages. Don't know about JSCript V PHP though ....

HTH

Kevin

How do you get the user's browser name a version? I thought it was something like $HTTP_USER_AGENT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back