Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP var with path string does not render remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

leegold2

Technical User
Oct 10, 2004
Hi,

As I learn about PHP I encounter a problem. I have a test server on my laptop and am serving flv Flash files. On my localhost laptop it's all OK. I serve a local flv file and watch the video. So I figure I'd go on a desktop in my local home network, dial in the ip of my laptop, and watch a video from the desktop. Everything works OK except this, (note: $vrelpath is the path to an flv file on my laptop), so:

Given the code:

echo "vrelpath: ". $vrelpath;
$vv = 'ttttt';
echo '<br>'.$vv;

and I see on the local laptop web page:

vrelpath: ./uploaded_vids/File28_final.flv
ttttt

But it renders on the "remote" desktop as:

vrelpath:
ttttt

The $vrelpath string is not getting to the desktop, but another string $vv is getting to it. So what's going on here?

BTW, If I hard code a link on my laptop with something like this and serve it to the desktop it works OK:

<a href="./flowplayer/example/Food/tofu_video_preview.flv" style="display:block;width:520px;height:330px" id="player"> </a>

and the desktop user will get a nice flash video w/control bars...

There's something about that $vrelpath when it holds that path string(?) Note: if a stick 'zzzz' into $vrelpath it renders on the desktop OK.

What is the issue? Thanks appreciate the help.

Lee G.

@K9Logic
agreed.

@OP
the issue will most likely lie with how and where you set the $vrelpath variable.

Hi,

I'm sorry for not providing enough information in my first post. It was a case of POST and GET for a form working on my localhost test laptop but not working when a remote machine tried the web page. I don't know why the code was not not working remotely. But I changed the HTML and experimented, and fixed it.

Again sorry for this nebulous question and lack of info. I was desperate at the time...

Lee G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back