Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP MySQL Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgyboy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 20, 2002
AU
Hi Everyone,
I am about to develop a photographery site (which contains about 2-250 photos. I am sure i should be using PHP MySQL for the project. But i unsure on how it works or why I should be using it.
Now this is will sound really stupid but..... dont databases just store info not photos?
I m really lost on this one, I know I could make the site just making seperate HTML Pages for each photo, etc but also know that PHP MySQL is most commonly used for sites with lots of info.
Help......

You would want to use PHP MySQL in a situation like yours due to it's ability to generate those seperate pages based on the content of your database.

For example: Your database could hold the image location, and some information on the image. When your PHP script is called to look for a certain image, it can load it up into a new page with some info based on the image selected instead of having to make all of those pages individually.

You don't have to use PHP/MySQL, ASP/SQL, MySQL, even Access etc would work just as well (Ok maybe not Access). One thing NOT to do is store the photos (as BLOBs) in the db.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back