Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP Mail Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLASHfreak1021

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
US
Hey Everyone!
I just set up a webserver w/ Apache 1.3.7, PHP 4.3.0, CGI 5.0, and MySQL. In order for PHP's
Code:
mail()
function to work, what program do I need on my server?

FLASHfreak :)

FLASHfreak :)
- The Flash Experience

In looking at sendmail, it seems to be a fairly large program, do you need to run the entire install or is there simply an SMTP verison you can run?

Thanks!

What OS are you running on?

Sendmail is a behemoth, but it's not a single program. The Sendmail MTA uses a command-line app called "sendmail" to inject messages into the Sendmail MTA's message queues.

Since Sendmail has long been the standard, the assumption on a LAMP box is that the sendmail message sender app will be available. So other MTAs implement their own versions of the sendmail app that work with their MTAs. Both qmail and postfix some with versions of sendmail, for example.

On a LAMP box, PHP invokes the sendmail app to send mail. So what you need is an MTA that provides a sendmail app.

On the other hand, you could use something like PHPMailer ( which can send mail using network sockets to hand a message to an SMTP server.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back