Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

php installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 1999
HK
Hi,

I am a beginner. Can anyone please give me a tutorial guide of installation of php 5.2.3 to IIS 6.0 and the configuration in Win 2003? Thanks.

nowhere better than following the very detailed instructions that are contained in the php distribution. the relevant file is called install.

do not use the automatic installer - i have never managed to get it to work. the manual method only takes 90 seconds anyway.

supernova,

Check this link out:

I am using WAMP and I love it!!! It is easy and very intuitive to work with. I recommend you dump IIS and use Apache.

That said, if you MUST stick with IIS the process still is very simple:

1. Visit and download and install WIN Binaries
2. In IIS, setup a website or virtual host. Do not forget
to set a default document using .php extension
3. If working off your localcost, then edit hosts file
located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Add a line like so: localphp 127.0.0.1

NOTE: Change localphp to whatever you want to name your
virtual host or web site

4. Go to your DNS services - Stop and Start DNS
5. Open your web browser and type and you should get your default page (whatever you
defined within IIS)

If you want to create a default page, a good way to start is:

- Open notepad or any text editor
- type the PHP script as follows

Code:
<?PHP
  phpinfo();
?>

- Save file as phpinfo.php in your web root directory
- Add this file in IIS on the document list
- In your browser type the URL
You should see a nice page telling you all sorts of information about your PHP and how it is configured.

Since I learned about phpinfo() (about a week ago :) ), I defined a page as I memtioned here and use it when I need to check on my PHP settings.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jose Lerebours

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

I have to agree with josel on one point:
josel said:
I recommend you dump IIS and use Apache.

But I would also urge you to manually install PHP, you will have a chance to learn about configuring PHP, enabling extensions, and everything else that goes along with it.

I am no server wiz and I recently had to update my development server. I had switched over to PHP5 and just got a job which required the code to be PHP4. I followed this tutorial about running PHP4 and 5 concurrently on a server. It was so easy to setup I downloaded I copy of PHP6 and set that up also. I just wanted to see how it was coming along:)

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

If you give someone a program, you will frustrate them for a day
but if you teach them how to program, you will frustrate them for a lifetime.

I find IIS extremely stable and the equal of Apache for development purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back