Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

php inside html inside php display issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwpclark

Programmer
Mar 14, 2005
US
Hello

I am configuring a pre-made script from php-login-script.com, and so far, so good, except...

A php script opens and closes <?php ... ?>, then inserts plain html without using "echo" or "print".

Then it calls php values within an html form like this:

<textarea name="address" cols="40" rows="4" class="required" id="address"><? echo $row_settings['address']; ?></textarea>

In a browser, the form field displays <? echo $row_settings['address']; ?>, rather than the intended value.

Is there something in php.ini that can be set to display this value as intended? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks
Mike

Hope.

Whomever wrote it needs to correct the opening php tag.

it should be <?php NOT <?

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Thanks Chris, but I managed to answer my own question

In php 5.3 and earlier, the short_open_tag has to be On.

In php 5.4 short codes are recognized by default.

Relying on "short_tags" prevents your code from being 'portable', it's best not to use them.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

As advised by ChrisHirst, stay clear from short tags - I believe it is deprecated.

The primary cause of this is XML already uses <? thus conflicting with PHP attempt to use the same.

--
SouthBeach
The good thing about not knowing is the opportunity to learn - Yours truly, 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back