Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP.ini, mail, and an exchange server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcaza

Technical User
Jul 3, 2013
CA
I am running a separate web server and exchange server....

I can get wordpress using the checkmail plugin to send to internal addresses, but not to external addresses

anyone have ANY IDEAS?

Need to get this fixed?

Thanks!

Brian

is your wp installation configured to use the exchange server as the MTA or to use phps mail function?

are you running wp on windows or Linux?

if you are using exchange as an MTA what do the exchange logs say?

Well I am not an expert at WP, but here is what I can tell you

I used a plug in called check mail in Wordpress. However that works is how I tested it.

If I put the smtp server in the php.ini as smtp.xxxx.ca, it works locally sending to xxxx.ca domain, but if I send to a gmail account, with the queue on hold on the exchange server, it does not show up.

I am running WP on a Windows 2003 server and exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server as well.....

checkmail does not change the way wp sends email.

to use normal wp.email sending you would need to have mail relay permissions set up on SMTP.xxxxx.ca for your incoming IP address. and no authentication too.

the alternative is to change the way wp sends email. by using phpmailer is similar.

Can you provide me with more info on the phpmailer? Thanks!

phpmailer is made by wroxware and maintained on sourceforge. i don't recall precisely but I nearly certain that phpmailer is now used by wordpress in its core email functions. but it uses only the mail() based calls, which will not work unless your server allows unauthenticated relay from your ip.

the normal routes around for windows to set up a local smtp server on localhost. and lock that down so it is not an open relay.

the alternative would be to plugin to the actions hook 'phpmailer_init' and change the phpmailer object at that point to use isSMTP() and specifying your host, and the authentication date for your host.

if you need more help on fixing it this way you would be better asking in the wordpress forum of this site as the request is not php related (other than tangentially).

if you want more help on setting up your smtp exchange server, there is a forum on this site for that. likewise if you need help configuring a relay path on your local machine and/or your exchange server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back