Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP Ftp functions on IIS 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielemasson

Programmer
Apr 6, 2002
CO
Hi there !! i had started a thread regarding this few days ago .. and responses were very helpful, .. but now im having new troubles, id appreciate any help !! thanks.:

Im working with php on IIS 4 .. its an ftp client but im having problems when the file size is too large ... i already increased the CGI timeout on the server and it worked !! ... but im recently having this:

The page cannot be displayed

i also created an status indicator wich shows the progrres of the transfer and this indicator is still increasing !!, i mean the tranfer continues , its just ... hell i dont know !!

i know that the transfer of a very big file can take long time ... i just wnat to know if theres is a way to keep alive the script during transfer, ... or maybe break the file into smaller parts and restore it once uploaded ... id like to have some help about this situation ..

Thanks

=> Daniel.

Hi all,
I get the same problem.
When I want to ftp upload a large file I get 'page cannot be displayed' I am using IIS5.

I want to be able to ftp upload about 500MB.

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

Thankyou in advance for your help!

Regards,

P

This is why FTP and HTTP are often handled under 2 totally different settings. Because most browsers have a time-out period (and the proxies/firewalls that serve to them), it is silly to attempt to post files of such large size through a http browser - - or to wait for some sort of FTP upload confirmation.

Are you hoping that everyone that visits your site can upload 500 Mb? How will you store all that?

If you are only concerned about uploading yourself, consider some sort of a BAT file or local PHP script that accesses your resident command-line FTP program to send your file(s).

Your http browser should not be the playground for such large files.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

One more thing - - if you are still trying to wrestle with this through a browser, you need to increase the time-out period for both the web server and PHP. The original post seems to indicate that only the CGI/PHP time-out period was tweaked.

- - picklefish - -

Hi jimoblak,
Thanks for your response.
I am creating an internal(intranet) site.
With a terabytes worth of storage.

Although not that frequent I need users to be able to upload files. 100MB-200MB is a more common file size.

I have increased the php.ini maximum execution time/file upload/ etc and increased the web server timeout period..

I now get the message:-

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 2147483647 seconds exceeded

After only about 30 seconds.... any ideas?

Thanks,

P

Is that error from the current process or one that had been going on from a previous upload? Can you restart the server, FTP, and PHP... and then try again?

- - picklefish - -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back