Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP Crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernest74

Programmer
May 6, 2005
FI

Hi all!

My web thingie mysteriously crashes and I dont know why. I have used HTML and PHP 4.3.5 to code it. I also use MS-SQL and view the solutuon with MS-Explorer.

The system may run fine weeks, but then the php somehow fails - html codes are still working & showing fine.
It solves the problem if I restart the iis -service, but I cant pinpoint exactly where the problem is. I have not found any usefull error log either. Seems that any of the windows services have not crashed, but something has happened. Just dont know what...

If anyone have an idea where the problem might be or what things I should check.. well, just let me know! :)

JH

Considering that you are 8 or 9 releases behind the latest 4.x version, as a first piece of advice I recommend upgrading PHP.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

Simply upgrading PHP to a later version will not resolve all your problems, also there are considerations to take into account when migrating from PHP 4 to 5 for example.

What I would ask is,

1. What is your web thingie
2. What is it suppossed to do, that it is not doing now
3. What OS are you running IIS under, and what version of IIS is being used.

cepeleon:
Who advised migrating from PHP version 4.x to PHP version 5.x? Ernest74 stated he is running PHP version 4.3.5, which is either 8 or 9 releases (depending on how you count them) behind PHP version 4.4.2, the current 4.x version.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions! TANSTAAFL!

My web thingie... :)

Well, its a kind of pick control system. There are server and 2 workstations. With workstations you control the pick-of-products. Of course you can view the system from any other computer in the same net, but that is not common use.

I think nobody didnt get any wiser about my explanation, but the main thing is that what it does, it does it ok.. untill the php crashes. And this happens maybe once in two weeks.
I have been studying the server when the php has crashed, but I didnt know what to check. I lookd some logs and win-events, but I did not see any reason for the malfunction.

My os is Windows 2003 server.

So I am now puzzled where to go...
Should I

1) Upgrade php (Ill do this if there is a chance that the crashing will end)
2) Look reason for crashing in settings (php.ini, iis..)
3) Search reason for crashing in my php -code

So, if any one have ever been in a same kind of situation and maybe found a reason for the crashing I would be pleased to know about it.

Thanks all for answering!

I just upgraded the php to version 4.4.2 and hopefully that will do the trick and crashing will end.

I also configured the extension .php to the php.exe - it was earlier set to the dll. I dont know if that has anything to do with crashing, but we will wait and see.

@sleipnir214

I never said he did, I gave that as an example.

But even on an older version simply upgrading doesn't necessarily mean it will fix the issue with crashing. It could well be that his settings for CGI extensions in IIS are causing the problems or improper configuration of his security settings for the PHP and inetpub folders are causing it to crash out.

By all means upgrade your version of php but be aware that even if the problem seems to have disapeared it may not be cured, and could cause further problems in the future.

Here is something that I just discovered:
(This is a new thing. I has nothing to do with the earlier php crashing)

The problem was, that one normal button in HTLM form crashed down the MS-IExplorer. There was no error messages or anything - the explorer just closed itself. And this happened if you clicked the button couple of times really quickly.

I found out that the IIS logging was responsible for the crashing. When I disabled the logging from IIS there was no crashing afterwards.

Has anyone experiensed anything like this? Is there something else wrong with my settings and together with logging they were crashing the system or was it really that there was too much logging in process and this closed up the explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back