Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PHP and Databases 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

richvalve

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
GB
Hello All

I plan to learn Access, with a view to putting my databases onto the internet. Can this be achieved with PHP ie does it support Access databases?

Thanks a lot

Richardd

Yes it does, but I doubt you will find a suitable host for your site. Most offer mySQL instead of Access in combination with PHP.

So you think it would be better / easier for me to learn mySQL instead of Access?

Either learn mySql or Postgres. Both are easy to learn and
are open source.

Also, relational databases (against file databases) are more appropiate for concurrent access.
If you learn SQL syntax and you use it in MySQL it will be more useful for you in the future.

The UNIX / Microsoft server argument is a good one. In the end it will depend on what you already know now. I am assuming you have a Windows box and have installed PHP on it to dish up dynamic pages.

MySQL -vs- Access. They are both relational databases. As mentioned, Access will work great with ASP. Access is usually used as a front end to connect to an MS SQL Server, again with ASP pages. Access gives you the nice easy GUI that a brain-dead cat could use. MySQL is by far faster. SQL syntax is not tough. You can learn what you need to know in a couple of days of study. If you do not have to manage, install and config MySQL yourself (ie. somebody else is managing the server) MySQL is my personal pref. If you are not familiar with UNIX management you will spend more of your time beating your head against the wall than getting results. You can get PHP and MySQL on Windows.

ASP -vs- PHP is also another thing that will be based on your background. If you do not want to learn MySQL stay with ASP. If you want PHP, learn MySQL. If you do not want to learn ASP, stick to PHP and MySQL. If you already know ASP, PHP should be easy to learn (so long as you can script ASP in JScript).

You will find is hard to find resources on mixing technologies. Keep PHP and MySQL together and ASP and Access/SQLServer together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back