Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PhotoSmart C8180 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbaughma

IS-IT--Management
Staff member
Nov 21, 2003
US
So, my printer has broken a gear.

HP Photosmart C8180... on the back side, if you remove the paper clear-out, there is a roller with a little gear at the end (it has about a 1/4" hold and about 14 teeth).

Can not find a part number (no photosmart parts lists or exploded views on Partsurfer) and a call to HP resulted in them wanting me to trade up/trade in/replace.

This is a pretty spendy printer, and I LOVE how it works, with it's built-in DVD recorder, slide/negative scanner, etc. etc.

Any ideas on a part number or where I can get a replacement? I'd really hate to get rid of a several hundred dollar printer over a 15 cent gear. :(

TIA!

Just my 2ó

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Some Googling resulting in this site: You can filter down to the specific gear areas. I haven't personally used this site so I cannot speak for it but I dont think you will have a ton of options when looking for this specific of a part. They also seem a bit high on prices for what they offer.

Also, might be easier to buy a parts printer off Amazon or eBay such as these:
Wish I had better alternatives for you, but when searching for gears, it can be a pain.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I had contacted partshere before making this post. They said to email a picture of the part and their sales department would get back to me. That has been 2 weeks ago.

Good idea on buying one for parts, as long as the same part isn't broken. :D

Just my 2ó

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Good idea on buying one for parts, as long as the same part isn't broken. :D" - lol, this is true. Usually with specific printers like this one where I love it, I like having a broken parts machine sitting around I can scavenge from. Usually eBay is packed full of As-Is or parts printers.

Best of luck!

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back