Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop CS6 / VB6 / Scripting / Actions / Windows 8 Conundrum 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alt255

Programmer
May 14, 1999
US
For years, I have used Visual Basic 6 to control Photoshop batching to create large numbers of images (often more than 100,000). There have been occasional wrinkings when upgrading through the various Photoshop versions (beginning with CS2), but the thousands of lines of VB code I have written have proven reusable until now. I recently upgraded to CS6 and Windows 8 and found (to my dismay) that VB6 is no longer supported, and only partially functional, under Windows 8. Also CS6 appears to have lost some of it's scripting functionality.

The sticky problem is that I can only create one instance of the Photoshop.Application object. I must close Photoshop and allow the scripting code to open it (otherwise, I get an "unable to create ActiveX" error). Then, after creating the photoshop object, it is only partially functional. I can't, for instance, drag in files from a folder (drag and drop is disabled). I have to restart Photoshop first.

Searches through the internet resources have drawn blanks. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I could have posted this question in at least four forums... but I suspect the problem lies with CS6.

Add water (makes its own sauce).

but I suspect the problem lies with CS6

You're probably correct and I'm sure you don't want all that code going to waste; have you tried any Adobe forums or Adobe support?

sam

I do thank you for the rapid reply. I discovered, accidentally, that the problem wasn't the fault of CS6. VB6 and CS6 worked together without error when I ran the same code from the compiled EXE. I rarely compile my programs, since I like to modify the code on-the-fly in break mode (I might have to learn to live without that habit now).

There are no more problems creating the ActiveX, drag and drop into Photoshop works the way it should, Photoshop now returns the proper error codes, and gone are all the other problems I didn't bother to mention. It appears that the VB6 IDE (not any given VB6-created program) has limited functionality under Windows 8. This assumption may be way off track... but it seems to work. Thanks again.

Add water (makes its own sauce).

Thanks FF

Thanks for the update that's good information and I'm glad you were able to fix your problem.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back