Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop and PDF? Need quick answer please.... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Hi all,

I need to create a .PDF document that is a report my company has done. The report is about 35 pages long in a word doc. Is it possible to create such a thing in Photoshop and if so, what would be the best way of going about it?

I would appreciate a fairly quick answer so if anyone know's about this, please shout!

Oh yeah, I only have photoshop from the Adobe range so I need to do it in this if I'm gonna do a .PDF. Falling short of being able to create this in PS then I'm gonna have to do a Word document, HELP!LOL (by this I mean reformat the whole thing to make it look nice) funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Hi,

The problem with text and photoshop is that when making a pdf from it the text will be rasterized, so the quality will degree a lot.

I don't exactly now but I beieve that there is a way. In your acrobat reader there is a possibility to create a pdf online, maybe they can help you there.

Good Luck
grillhouse

If you have Acrobat you can:
Open your print monitor and select FILE instead of PRINTER
SAVE into your DISTILLER "IN" BOX
press PRINT

next
OPEN DISTILLER....it will automatically distill the postscript file into a PDF and it will move it into the DISTILLER "OUT" folder

If you have Acrobat and haven't set up the DISTILLER WATCH FOLDER you will need to do that first...........

If you don't have the full version of ACROBAT, then you most likely don't have DISTILLER(it comes with ACROBAT)........

Just for your information:
Saving your PSHOP file as an .EPS and importing it into QUARK then stepping through the .PDF instructions above will give you great results (if you have QUARK that is)...

Hope it helps,
MM

Hi,

Cheers Mothman! No I don't have 'Acrobat'. I only have the reader. Guess what, I don't have Quark either. We have decided to re-format the Word doc that it was originally created in as it's a bit late to start asking my IT department to get new software. (Usually takes a couple of months from my experience).

I do have a question for you though. We are just starting to get into designing and creating our own brochures etc. and we are gonna need to get some page layout software for this, (PS is cool but would be nice to have something that was designed for the job) so what would you recommend? I understand Quark is pretty much the industry standard but what about Adobe PageMaker etc.? I work only with PS6 (for print) at the moment so it would be nice to have something that was PS6 friendly.

Cheers for any advice
funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Funkymonk:

It's been a couple of years, but I have used both Pagemaker and Quark. Both are fine as far as I'm concerned, although Pagemaker (at least 6.5) was a bit buggy. I learned to save early and often. Pagemaker, especially 7.0 now, probably works with Pagemaker a bit better. I would definitely get some page layout software, because while PS does a lot of neatr things, it's not meant to design the types of brochures you're talking about.

The big question, as far as commercial printing goes, is what operating system are you using versus what operating system your printing company uses. If your printing company is all MAC and you are all PC, you are going to have some headaches in converting files. That's the situation I had when editing a magazine three years ago, and opening PC files on a MAC took forever (literally hours). Plus there were always small errors (a picture a bit off, a line a hair higher than it should be, a font the wrong size) that had to be fixed. That whole process might be better now, but when I was in that business, it was the single biggest problem I faced.

Hope this helps.

Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

Thanks MIScoord,

Yes, we use PC's here and I've had no problems (none that they've told me about) with the printers. Your post was really helpful, I need to put a business case together if I want new software so I will use some of what you said. I find it a bit weird that my company decides to bring all the design work in-house but moan like heck when I want something to do a specific job, hmph, bosses. I will put up a post and ask for peoples opinions on what what to get, I also know a few people that do this kind of work so will ask them also. Again, thanks for the response.

funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Something else I should have mentioned, especially since you sound like you are in a corportate environment -- resist the urge to go cheap. Pagemaker and Quark are both expensive ($700-plus per copy) and someone might try to talk you into something else not as pricy. It would be a mistake. Stuff like Microsoft Publisher and the like just don't pass muster for the things you sound like you need to do. Also, I had a mistake in my post above. I should have said that Pagemaker probably works a bit better with Photoshop, although I have no evidence to back that up. If I had to guess, I would say you are going to get more votes for Quark, because of the tendency of Pagemaker (in the past) to crash. It will be interesting to see.

Me: We need a better backup system.
My boss's boss: Backup? We don't need no stinkin' backup!

Hi

On the question of choosing a lay-out programm my most important concern is the interface. All lay-out programms can do a lot of things but working with a programm that hasn't a good feel, and I mean your personal feel, although it might have more possibilities could slow down your workflow.

If you have the ultimate microwave, but the buttons are too smaal, or the explanation of the possibilities isn't done wrigt WHO IS GOING TO MAKE THE PIZZA?

Anyway, The difference between Pagemaker and Quark are not only the proce you pay for the programm but a quark update costs as much as the new version. pagemaker updates cost a third of the original price.

Have some nice discussions

grillhouse

Excellent you two, that's exactly the kind of responses I want. As for going cheap, it is my company that's going to buy it so price is of no concern (to me anyway). That also goes for the up-dates, although, getting them to buy an update is gonna be harder than getting them to buy the software in the first place.....LOL

Again, thankyou. funkymonk B-)
rod@sameplanet.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back