Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop 7 graphic to Pagemaker 7 w / transparency? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelart74

Technical User
Aug 2, 2004
US
Hey all,
I am new to the forum. So hello everyone. Be warned, this is a long email but I feel the more detail the better.

I am trying to take an image I made in Photoshop 7 that is on a transparent background on one layer into Pagemaker 7 and preserve the transparency when I open/place the image into Pagemaker. Unfortunately, I have tried several methods to no avail:

1) Using Adobe's export transparent image wizard (under help) and saving as an EPS (with or without the TIFF preview option)

2) Doing the above but saving as a TIFF

3) Creating a clipping path around the image and saving the file as a plain Photoshop file (PSD)*

*The odd thing is, I have 3 images that were created the same way (i.e what I explained above) and option 3 worked for one of them but not the other two files. I have no idea why it only works on the one as I am doing the same exact thing to all 3 files. The only thing that comes to mind is a possible complexity limitation of clipping paths (points wise). That first image that worked was the simplest of the three in terms of shape.

**Another odd thing, when I take the pen tool and make a simple test mask path, save as a clipping path, and save as a PSD, the transparency is preserved when I take it into Pagemaker.

If this works, then why can't I select the image on the transparent background, make that selection a path, save the path, save it as a clipping path, save the file as a PSD, and bring it into Pagemaker successfully with transparency??

I am not sure which printer the client is using, but I understand that when you take an EPS (or other) image into Pagemaker that white box you see may not really be there when you print, but when I print on my non-PS printer the box is there.

I am my wit's end as I am trying every solution I have seen online and at Adobe's tech support site to no avail. Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Dawn

Hi, Dawn,

Basically PM doesn't support transparency, but there is way to do it and you're almost there. Use a TIFF image.

I'm quoting from the AdobeForums PM FAQs:

3.6 - TIF: Maintaining transparency from Photoshop to PageMaker

You must create a clipping path in Photoshop prior to bringing your image into PageMaker. (Briefly: in Photoshop, use the Pen tool to create a path around what you want to keep. Save the path. Then select the saved path as your clipping path. For more details see the link to Len's article below).

You can also use clipping paths with Photoshop EPS, but normally the only reason you'd be saving as EPS from Photoshop is if your image is a duotone or contains a spot channel.

Bear in mind that clipping paths are hard-edged and you won’t be able to have soft effects like drop shadows and outer glows appear transparent over PageMaker objects. To have these sorts of effects, you will need to build everything in Photoshop, including the background elements you normally would have created in PageMaker, and bring the whole thing into PM as a single graphic.

For soft, transparent drop shadows in documents that will be printing in at least two colors including black, you can also try the technique Len Hewitt explains in his excellent article on clipping paths (it's on page 7 of the article).

Click here for Len Hewitt's Clipping Paths Article (PDF - 314Kb)

Similar descriptions of how to create clipping paths in Photoshop® are at:
Using Clipping Paths In Photoshop® and
Removing the Background in Photoshop®

> > I understand that when you take an EPS (or other) image into Pagemaker that white box you see may not really be there when you print, but when I print on my non-PS printer the box is there.

You need to print EPS files on Postscript printer - a non-PS printer will print the screen preview. The work around is to create a PDF and print the PDf on the no-PS printer.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Thanks for the help John. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I was attempting to avoid using the pen tool to create the clipping path, only because the design is a bit detailed and I don't understand why I can't just select the image on the layer (by clicking on the layer with the control button pressed down), turning that selection into a path, saving that path and making it a clipping path. It seems I have a couple of hours of work ahead of me with using the pen tool, but if that's the only thing that works I guess I have no choice.

Thanks again,
Dawn

Hi, Dawn,

PhS's magnetic pen tool and Help -> Export Transparent Image… wizard should speed things up.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I’m lazy.

I usually create paths by clicking in the background with the magic wand tool, the selecting / select / inverse.

Now you have the image selected and not the background, then use the make path command, and then save path, then clipping path.

This can all be done in just a few seconds.

The only caution I have is that if the image is extremely complicated it can make a very complicated path but I have seldom found this to be a problem.

Mike

Mike,
I tried that to no avail. When I make the path with the pen tool (as excruciating as that can be), it works in Pagemaker. When I select and make a path and then clipping path, no dice. I have no idea why it doesn't work.

Dawn

In the garage I feel safe
No one cares about my ways
-Weezer

Mike

Your method may work for non-demanding printing methods, but if you do it where the image is placed on a coloured background (why else would you bother with a clipping path?) the edges will be jagged, as the wand can only select around the (stepped) pixel outlines. The advantage of using the Pen Tool is that you get clean sharp lines. Learn how to use it - with practice you get better (and faster) and would never go back to using the wand.

Dawn

I don't understand what you are saying here:

>>When I make the path with the pen tool (as excruciating as that can be), it works in Pagemaker. When I select and make a path and then clipping path, no dice<<

You make the workpath in Photoshop with the pen tool. Save the workpath you have created as a path (double click the workpath in the Paths palette). Then save the path as a clipping path. Then save as a TIF and place in PM. Your image should come in with no background.

I haven't had any problems as far as the outline looking ragged, The images are at least 300dpi (1200 for monotone images) and are going to be printed on a inkjet printer, and the edges are as clean as they would be if I just pasted the image in unclipped.

I did encounter some small white edges showing in spots on occasion.
I got around this by always filling the background in the original image with the same color as the area I'm going to paste it into. This way any stray pixels that may peak through do not show.

Anyway this works fine for my applications, maybe not for everyone, but it is quick and easy compared to doing it by hand if it works for you. It’s worth a try I guess you can be the judge to whether it works for the particular application or not.

As for why it doesn’t work for Dawn I don’t have a clue, I have been doing it this way for years.

Mike

>>and are going to be printed on a inkjet printer<<

That explains it - an offset press is much more unforgiving.

And you probably already know this, but you don't need 300 dpi images to print to an inkjet printer. Try making one 200 dpi and seeing if you can pick the difference. You will certainly see a difference in file size and hence spooling time for probably no discernable loss in quality. And you also probably don't need to convert to CMYK - most inkjets are set up to automatically handle RGB and wil do the conversion internally - again a saving in file size and spooling time.

Hey everyone,
Apparently my client was using PM 7.0 and I was using the PM update 7.0.1 (the update that's out now) and that was the reason that his PM wasn't seeing all of my paths. Go figure. Just a head's up for future reference for everyone.

Dawn

In the garage I feel safe
No one cares about my ways
-Weezer

angelart74 said:
that was the reason that his PM wasn't seeing all of my paths
I doubt it. It worked fine for me as far as I remember. It's more likely it was the part re-install when updating.

Iechyd da! John.
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Hi Eggles

I know that I don't need 300 dpi but since some of the stuff is for offset and some is for various digital printers I use 300 for everything.

I don't want to save the images twice and don't like working on them in Photoshop at less then 300 dpi.
Since I make a lot of composite illustrations this makes it easier to put things together also.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back