Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photoshop 7 - Each drawing object is a layer and won't merge

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevalDragon

Technical User
Mar 16, 2010
US
When I draw lines, rectangles or other shapes, each one adds itself as a new layer that does not show on the drawing pad with the previous object - I can only see it in the layers menu. When I merge layers or flatten the image, all of the layers disappear and all that remains is the white background. All of the drawing disappears regardless of what color it is.

Is there a way to draw lines, shapes, etc, and not have each one as a separate layer or merge the layers so the drawing remains?

I'm sure I'm missing something very simple, but can't figure it out. Any suggestions?

Hi

When I draw an object using the Rectangle and Ellipse tools they do appear on a different layer.

But if I open the menu in the layers palate and select "Merge Down" they then flatten and appear on the base layer or the one below the one being merged.

What I did find was that for some reason I could not create a new object in a different color then the previous one, unless I merged the previous one first.

Or in short I created a Red Circle, then I had to merge it with the background before I could create a Black Rectangle.

I then Merged that and next created a Blue Pentagram.

It would not let me create all the shapes in different colors and then merge them.

Mike

Hi again

Ok I figured it out.
It is because the layers have to be rasterized first.

If you create a new shape it will be the same color as the first one.

If you then click on it with the paint bucket tool you will get a Message asking if you want to Rasterized it.

Say say yes and you can color it anything you want.

And you will end up with all your shapes on different layers in different colors. You can now flatten the art and have it all on the base layer.

Hope this helps, I have never run into this because I don't usually do this kind of thing in Photoshop.

There may be a simpler way of doing this but I think the raserization is the key.

Mike

...it's also important to remember that layer based work is there to help you in a workflow and to keep elements organised...

...in the long run, you'll be glad you kept to layered artwork whenever possible, or at the very least saving versions you can fall back on...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back