Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

photo upload applet - PLEASE help kind people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaryEders

Programmer
Dec 26, 2004
GB
hi,

Being in the proccess of designing a photo sharing website, I would like some advice on how to aquire an easy upload tool.

I am aware that html has its own simple file upload capabilities (with a "browse..." button) but this is not good enough for the users of my site - they need to be able to select more than one image for upload at a time. Yahoo and MSN groups both provide such tools for their users to upload images, though I am not sure what technology is behind these. however, is one site that uses a java applet to upload multiple images, an idea that i feel could be perfect for the website i'm creating. However, as i have little experience of java programming, creating such an applet myslef seems like a very daunting task.

Does anyone know where i might be able to aquire such an applet for use on my site? (or know of some other solution) I am willing to pay a small ammount, but as the site will be non-profit making, free would be best! Unobtrusive adds within the applet are acceptable.

must have features:
* only recognised web image formats uploadable (jpg/gif/png)
* automatic resizing of overly large images (to save time and bandwith)
* whole folders selectable
* some way of knowing what proportion of the photos have uploded (e.g. progress bar)

desirable but less important features:
* thumbnails so users can see which images they are uploading
* rotate 90 degrees right/left
* caption feature, so each photo can be named

Many thanks,

- ed

... you could contact the upload JSP or any other language uploader script with the java applet and pass the file to it.

But technically, Java applets work client side and have to do all the stuff any other client side app would have to do.

Thanks to those who replied!

prosper and flumpy . . . good point. I did not realise java itself had no direct upload capabilities. stefan . . . thanks, but ftp is not really wht i'm after.

I've found juploader is just what i need!

you can use the java applet to select multiple files and preview the images, and then send the files via CGI to a php file.

- ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back