Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Photo printers and Photo Quality paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi Guys - Not sure whether this should be here or under some other forum - but here goes I'm sure you will advise me where to ask this question if not here.

I have an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX620 printer and I have been led to believe that I can only print photos from this printer onto Epson photo paper. Can anyone confirm the truth about this - or is it just another ploy by manufacturers to purchase their own expensive paper. I have also been told that the same applies to HP and other manufacturers printers - that they will only accept their owm brnad of paper. Any truth in this. My opinion is that any photo quality paper can be used in any photo printer.

Whilst on the subject I have also been told that some A4 sized photo paper is slightly larger than A4 to allow for margins. Am I being gullable to believe this as well.

Any comments or thoughts about this would be welcome. I don't want to have to buy expensive paper if I can get some decent quality but less expensive from Wal-Mart or similar stores

Thanks

Chris

For any given brand of computer you can only use that brands recommended printer and paper. For any given printer you can only use the manufacturer's own brand ink and paper. You can also only use their photo software and the electricity company they recommend.

OK - Joking aside. (Sorry - unable to resist)

Any will work. So any photo paper will work. A4 is A4. If it's bigger it can't be described as A4. What the printer manufacturer's are doing is practically giving the printer away and making their money on the consumables. They try to say it won't work (whatever it is) without their consumables. What they really mean is that it works best with their consumables. This may or may not be true when it comes to paper. Ink is a bit trickier as the wrong compatible cartridge can cause the printer to stop working.

I wish they would stop this tactic and charge a fair price for the printer and a fair price for the consumables.

If I were you I would experiment and see which paper suites your tastes & pocket best.

Thanks stduc, I will do as you suggest and undertake some experimentation. I only want to get a reasonable photo print when I do it myself (just for reference or to include in a portfolio of work) any serious images that I want to print I would more than likely take then on a memory card to a facility for 'professional' laser printing.

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back