Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phones disabling over night

Status
Not open for further replies.

TN94z

Technical User
Apr 15, 2010
US
I have searched the forum but maybe I did not use the right syntax. We have a 7.6 CS1000M and we are having issues with digital ports being disabled at night. It seems to be the same loops every time. Has anyone ran across this and what was the resolution? I assume we can just turn this off in the routine?

Hi, CS run a midnight routing LD 30 that test digital station ports and If Digital sets are disconected are disabled, You can see the configuration on Ld 22 TYPE OVLY:

>ld 22
PT2000
MARP NOT ACTIVATED

REQ prt
TYPE ovly
OVLY
SID 0
BKGD 044
PBXH 01
TODR 01
DROL 038 044 135
MULTI_USER ON

To remove routing 30 use LD 17 OVLY DROR x30

Right. I was pretty sure I could just remove that from midnights. And that may be the workaround. But I would still like to know why this is happening on phones that aren't unplugged overnight. It doesn't happen to every phone, just a handful in specific loops. I checked the firmware on a few of these and compared to phones that this never happens to, and they are only one version off (Flash is 093 on a disabled phone versus 094 on a phone that does not disable). I used a specific disabled phone and upgraded the firmware just to see if that is the issue, but I honestly don't think that's the problem.

It could be a wiring or cable problem. When DROL runs the diagnostics, odd things on the port can trigger the system to disable the port. It could be something as simple as a bad line cord, that got damaged or caught in the desk drawer, for example. See if there are any common elements among the ports being disabled. Do those stations affected share the same house cable? Something like a wet mop being placed in the phone closet against the connecting blocks could certainly cause this type of issue. So you have some investigating in your future! See what that might reveal...

Hope this helps!
....JIM....

Yeah, we have looked for some common traits among the affected sets. As far as in house cabling, the phones are scattered throughout the facility, so that's not the issue. The test phone that I upgraded the firmware on has not had to be reset since, so maybe that is the issue. Although, one of the sets that disabled was up to date on firmware. Maybe that particular set had another issue and it was just a coincidence that is disabled that night as well. But I agree, the investigation continues....

I have never seen a firmware issue cause a set to disable. More than likely a Line Card or Controller issue.

We have discussed that as a potential issue as well. We are going to keep a log of where these phones reside the next time it happens. I have a feeling you are correct though. I just started back at this site after leaving for a couple of years. They were so busy that they would just re-enable. Now that things are slowing down, we plan on finding the root cause. Thanks for the feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back