Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phonemaster and or OTM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NARSBARS

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
US
I have been using Phonemaster as a GUI to manage several PBXs for five years.
I am looking for anyone else that has used the product and maybe has some tips.
For sets, the product is fine but I am ignorant on how necessary OTM will remain with Element Manager growing and changing.
We are considering purchasing OTM $12 to $20,000 worth and I want to know if I am buying a soon to be unneeded product.
Thanks for input.

NARSBARS

With all the otm out there i cannot see it going away for a while because it will take a while for element manager to catch up on building sets and all the features that otm does, i would feel comfortable buying it if i was an end user.

j68maro,
Thanks. I can use Phonemaster to build sets very easily and I have Element manager. I can even break down and use command line. I guess what I am looking for is to find out if OTM will do anything that I can't do now or if it does something better.
So far I have been told that building sets is the OTM advantage.

NARSBARS

Hi, I feel it necessary to reply to your question on behalf of Phoneware. Our plans are to develop PhoneMaster in line with Nortel’s planned migration from the current command line mnemonic-based programming interface to an XML API-based administration system. PhoneMaster 5 will be developed for the .Net Framework and development is planned to begin in 2006. I would suggest you contact me directly if you want to discuss the future of PhoneMaster, particularly if you are considering spending a substantial amount of money. Also, I may be wrong, but I feel that you may not fully aware of all the programming advantages PhoneMaster has to offer based on your comments. PhoneMaster can be used to create/modify hundreds and even thousands of telephones in the same time it takes to modify one telephone, i.e. minutes.

the users i have worked with that use phone master have looked at the otm feature package and laughed. it's common knowledge that i don't support a gui interface but have heard nothing bad about phonemaster. (except you can't make 1000 changes as fast as you can make one)

i can make one change and testit in a minute or two, you seem to imply that phonemaster can change 1000's of stations in a minute or two. i do know you can do a global change, but it is not complete until after command line completes, unless your speaking of a major improvement

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

TDunne
Thank you for the info on Phoneware. I have been a customer for several years and this is the only communication I have ever received regarding development.
Normally the only communication I get is a bill once a year with no other contact, no upgrade notices, patch notices, no emails, no phone calls.
I hear nothing from Phoneware and requests for features are ignored.Nortel has regular communication. If the lack of communication is a fluke or a result of my arguementative, P.I.T.A. personality please cotact Tom, S.O.M. Maine U.S.A.
You should be able to find my contact info. 207-941-XXXX
656 XXXX St
Bangor ME. I have not posted exact information in order to meet the rules of this forum.

NARSBARS

johnpoole,

I respect your opinion highly. I have been slowly turning into the dreaded "management" type and my command line skills are not great. I can find the answer on CLI but it is tedious.

I am just trying to sort out whether I need OTM rather than Phoneware for any vital functions or in areas where my command line skills are not up to the job.

You know enough if you know enough not to break anything.

NARSBARS

Phoneware is far better software, gives you more options and less chance of breaking something.. i realize not everyone perfers cli. i just perfer to remind people that layer 7 gui has a habit of breaking.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

john,
A star for an answer I can rely on.

NARSBARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back