Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone not ringing from the outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhafer

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2001
US
I have a phone that works fine in house, but if you call it from the outside, it doesn't ring at the actal phone, but rings twice and goes to the general delivery mailbox. I had this happen to another employee last year, and the only fix I could find was to give them a new extension. Does this ring a bell?

Norstar Modular ICS:
System Version Code - 30JpF03 NAT
Software Version - XL USA MICS XC 1.0

Voicemail Software:
Version 2.20

I know it's old, but it does everything we need :)

how are you trying to reach this phone from outside? DID, Auto Attendant or by a transfer? It does sound like a mailbox is not initialized.

Check your forward settings. also make sure phone is not forwarded to voicemail.Try feture #4 (cancel call forward)

Good Luck!!

It's not voicemail related as far as I know. I've had this phone setup for years and it's been working fine. It just started doing this. Anything inside including transfering works fine. It's only when you call the number from the outside directly. I tried the cancel forward, but that wasn't it. Thank you everyone for your assistance.

You still need to answer Roldan's first part of his question...I'm wondering myself how people call this set from outside also..do they have a DID? a private CO line? does AA answer the call then the oustside caller transfers to the set?.
spoclogo2.jpg

It sounds like you may be using DID lines for the extensions, I think if you start checking you may find that the target line for the extension in trouble has another appearance on another telephone set and that set got forwarded to voicemail without a mailbox.

the above may work but the big question is: "how does an outside call get to the telephone set?"

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

I'm not sure what DID or a private CO stands for, but every employee can be reached by their own number (i.e. 555-4640), or internally by the last four or their number (i.e. 4640). I haven't added any phone lines for a while, so there hasn't been any changes to the system. Each phone has their own line assignment and number on the punch down block. This problem is above my level of experience.

From what you say you have DID lines (direct inward dial). You proram your system for the numbers that Telco gives you into target lines, and then assign those target lines to the extension (DN) you want that line to ring on.

Target Lines Programming:
From Lines – Show
Show LN: 145 – Show (target line range from 145-275 non-XC SW, 145-336 XC SW)
Target LN – Next
Private to: (extension number) – Next
Rec’d #: (enter digits Telco is sending)– Next
If Busy: to prime – Next
PrimeSet: 221 (change to the extension #) - Next
CLID Set: None – Next
Aux. Ringer: N – Next

As jerryreeve stated,"if you start checking you may find that the target line for the extension in trouble has another appearance on another telephone set and that set got forwarded to voicemail without a mailbox."
Look at the other extensions programing to verify.

Good Luck!!

Unfortunately I have MICS version 1, so I don't have those features. I also have over 200 extensions, and it would be very time consuming to go through every one. It appears I'm at a dead end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back