Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone model not showing after firmware install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudecrush

IS-IT--Management
Apr 2, 2007
US
I'm a Cisco newbie. My Callmanager is Version 9.1.2.12900-11.

We received a couple of DX70's from Cisco to play around with, and my boss wants to test them. I downloaded the firmware from Cisco's site, and uploaded the firmware successfully on the Pub and both Sub's. I restarted the TFTP service on all 3. When I go to Device > Device Settings > Device Defaults I don't see the DX70 listed. If I go to the firmware load information, the phones aren't listed either.

1) Once firmware is loaded, do you have to reboot the Pub and Sub's to see the phone listed?
2) Isn't there a better way than a reboot? Should I restart any other services?

You need to install the device pack that has the DX70 in it. Which requires a restart of the cluster. And it updates all the firmwares to whatever version it is. So be careful.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

gnrslash4life,

Thanks. I'm going to reboot my CM's this week. I was going to do it over the weekend, but I was unable to VPN in from home.

Speaking of firmware upgrades, I recently installed the upgraded software package for an ATA190. According to the idiot notes, I had to restart the TFTP service on the Pub and Sub's, then restart the ATA 190. Supposedly, the ATA should pick up the new software being pushed to it from Call Manager. That said, a reboot of the ATA had no effect - it's still running the same version as before. Is there a "trick" to getting ATA's or phones or whatever to update the software?

If the phone model is already in CM, then upload the cop.sgn file, and restart TFTP. After a reboot the phone will download the firmware.

If the phone model is not already in CM. Then you need to download the device pack which adds support for said phone(s). This requires a cluster reboot.

If you go to device - device defaults and see the phone model, then you just need to do the first option. If not, then its the second option.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

Thanks.

When you said to upload the cop.sgn file, did you mean on the ATA itself or the CM? 'Cuz what's weird is that I tried uploading that file on the GUI of the ATA, but it states "invalid image file". I uploaded it to the CM and have since rebooted, but it never seemed to work - Hence my original question. I think I'm doing something wrong.

To CM. I have never worked on an ATA190 so I am not sure. In fact, I think ATA's in general are a PITA.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

Apparently if you have a firmware revision on the ATA that is lower than anything on Cisco's site you need to get a ES firmware from Cisco to be able to upgrade.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

gnrslash4life: You said it - ATA's are a real PITA....

So what the heck is ES firmware? Anyway, I uploaded both the cop.sgn and the qed.xxxx.cop.sgn files to CM.

The ATA is running 1.1.0(006)
I'm attempting to upgrade to: 1.1.1(001)

Now here is what's f***ed: In the "olden Cisco days" (Version 6), I recall choosing the firmware load from a drop-down in Device Defaults. In version 9, I have to TYPE in the version like this: ATA190.1-1-1-001. I think typing it in is very odd (what if I typo?), but...that's the way it is for all the other phone models, too.

When I go into Firmware Load Information I'm informed - rightly - that the ATA is not using the Default Load. When I click on the listed Link, it takes me to the Phone Config page. I've entered ATA190.1-1-1-001 in Phone Load Name.

Am I missing something? Did I not type in the device load correctly?

Yeah, in 7.x they changed it to typing it in.

ES firmware is a Cisco special firmware. But its not the case for you so disregard.

The default phone load should be the newest one if its installed correctly.

Certifications:
A+
Network+
CCENT
CCNA Voice
TVOICE
CAPPS

gnrslash4life,

OK - So I rebooted the cluster last night and restarted the TFTP service on my pub and both subs. Problem is, I don't see the DX70 listed anywhere as a device on Device Defaults. Did I miss a step?

whykap,

I didn't install a device pack, just the firmware for the DX70. I didn't want to give myself the chance to accidentally upgrade the firmware on every phone.

I recently learned that there is a definition file that must be installed FIRST, before the firmware. Is that true? Why doesn't that show up when I log into my Cisco account and go to downloads? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything related to a definition file.

If a definition file is needed:
a) Do I have to reboot the cluster after installing the definition file AND before installing the firmware? OR, can I install the definition file, firmware and then reboot? (Two reboots or just one?)
b) What happens if I install the firmware first and then install the definition file? Am I hosed up? How do I undo this?
c) Where the heck on Cisco's site do I find the supposed definition file?

Firmware only is not going to make the phone appear in call manager. You need to install the device pack so not only the firmware is installed but also all the database files needed for the system to recognize the unit.
I'm not really sure what definition file you are referring to but if is needed it will be in the device pack referenced. Use the link I put up earlier for details on how to go about installing it.

That was it. You definitely need the device pack. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back