Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

phone manager vpn not finding ipoffice

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupportHRS

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2005
US
I have a remote office and I can ping the ipoffice fine but phone manager pro cant find the ipoffice.

are there any router restriction that I need to be aware of on my side of the vpn or back at my home office?

I can get the phone manager to find the ipoffice if I use the windows VPN client and connect to my office but when I am not of the windows vpn adn connected to the hard vpn tunnel I cant get the PM to find the ipoffice.

Im sure there is somehting blocking it.

tips? docs? anything.

I do not have DNS resolution to my remote network so I edit the host file on my pc to find everything.

Is there something I can add to my host file that will allow it to find the ipoffice?

You will have to have the VPN up and running anytime you want to use the Phone Manager Feature...

I'm assuming that the "remote office" does not have an IP Office control Unit as well.

You will need the VPN connection so that the PC's in the remote office, act as if they are part of the main office's network. Without the VPN the remote PC's are unable to resolve the IP addressing and routing that is needed to connect to the IP Office.

*** Rememeber in the Windows VPN client to go into the properties, go to the Networking Tab, select TCP/IP, Click Advanced, under IP Settings, make sure the "Use default Gateway on remote Network" is UNchecked.

**** Also note, Avaya does not certify that this will work on any Vista machines, although I have been ok with Phone Manager in test center, but Phone Manager IP Phone, has issues becasue of the TAPI drivers in Vista.

Hope that helps.

Tekcetera Support

it not windows vpn, it is a constant tunel from my router to my office.

It sounds like you have a VPN configuration issue. can you use an IP hard phone at remote end wihtout problems?

If phonemanager works fine through VPN client then it points at the VPN tunnel. maybe change the encryption type or recheck the settings. Do other services work over the tunnel? Do you have any firewall rules on the tunnel?

my hard phone works fine,

Im sure the problem is tied to the fact that I can not resolve anything over the VPN to the home office DNS. I cant do a NSlookup to any pc name back at teh office but if i add the name to my hosts file with an ipaddress i can. SO i think im having DNS problems adn that is the root fo the problem.

got any tips on how to get my pc to resolve DNS to my home office? I have my tcp/ip configured for the DNS ipaddress of my home office and i can ping everything back at the home office. I think this is the problem,

Also If i use the windows vpn i can resolve names adn get manager to see the ipoffice but if im on the hard tunnel vpn (router to router) i can not resolve any DNS with out adding it to my hosts file.

no, but it sounds like your making things a lot harder than they are. vpn tunnels are straght forward. dns is not needed to get ip traffic flowing. the ip office sends packets to ip address using the router gateway.

In phonemanager, when opening, do you click search for IP office or do you manually put in the ip address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back