Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone Jack Wired Wrong??

Status
Not open for further replies.

onsitepc

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
The problem: When the phone rings, the DSL looses connection until the phone is hung up.

We are using Bellsouth DSL home service with an Alcatel ethernet modem. If connected to the internet, we loose connection when the phone is in use. (The sync light begins to flash) Bellsouth's tech support says the jack is wired backwards. So I swapped the wires. Same problem. All the phones are filtered and working properly. Could it be voltage on the line? bad ground? I think it's in the wiring somewhere but don't know how to check. I've never seen this problem. Some guidance is requested.

Thanks,

try a different phone, some phones have too high an internal resistance.

I don't even have to answer the phone. It disconnects as soon as the phone rings.

It's not unknown for some phones to inject a signal back into the phone line when they're ringing - so do like franklin97355 says - try another phone - or indeed try unplugging the phone altogether and calling to see if it still disconnects.

If you do unplug the phone, call and it does drop you should then plug your Alcatel directly into the NID on the outside of the house. You'll need an extra long cord, probably. Try again at this point. If it drops now call your telco back and tell them the steps you have taken and that it appears to be a line problem, not internal wiring. If it works at the NID you have an inside wiring problem and need to start looking at your home runs and connections.

What about line interference protectors that came with your modem ? Make sure to use one between each phone and the wall outlet !

Otherwise phone operation WILL disturb the DSL signal.

Luc

MontrealSoft.com

Another thing about those interference protector, make sure you use them correctly. On some models, you can't make a mistake, one end is a plug and the other is a jack. The plug side going to the wall and the jack side (using a modular extension cord) to the modem. The ones I got for my old Nortel modem had jacks on both sides, and they can easily be plugged in the wrong way.

Bootleg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back