Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phone-in to computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

1zman

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
I was asked to see if I could find out how to set up a computer to accept multiple in bound phone calls to a single phone number. Any ideas??

They are running a 400mhz WinME (I know I know, but it is stable) The sofware will allow multiple account access at the same time.

i dont believe that is possible but were it so, you would no doubt be limited to three inbound calls and would be subject to some wicked phone bills because you would have to utilize conference calling which is not only expensive to you but to the people calling in

Ok, here is another question in this vane. Would I be better off setting this up as a server to recieve the in-bound calls?
Thanks
Zman

question why are you trying to do this and i might know something else to help you

Alexlci;
My friend is trying to start a home business. Their customers would "access" the computer to get completed info from the program. "Lets say accounting info" The program that will provide the info will allow multiple "accounts" to access at the same time. I was trying to see if we could set it up through a phone line into the computer. Short of setting up a web page with a secure server.

I have used multiple modems before 1 fax, 2 internet (1 in 1 out) but have not tried to set this type of system up.

ANY suggestion you might have will be greatly appreciated.

We accomplish this via a partial T1 line and a Shiva LanRover Remote Access Switch. It contains (two) digital modem cards, is cabable of handling 128 simultaneous incoming calls and is intelligent enough to determine whether the incoming call is digital or analog and sets up the call accordingly. The LanRover, as a distinct product, is no longer available but since Intel bought Shiva, I imagine that they have a similar product available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back